Dominion Diamond Mines Suspends Operations at Ekati Mine

Mining and Exploration
20/03/2020 15:59

Dominion Diamond Mines (Dominion) yesterday, March 19, announced that it has decided to suspend operations at the Ekati Diamond Mine in Canada to safeguard its employees and the communities surrounding its operations from threat posed by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Dominion's statement reads, "Although none of Dominion’s employees have tested positive for the Coronavirus to date, this preventative action was determined to be a necessary step given the rapid spread of the virus, the remote location of the Ekati mine’s operations and the high frequency of air travel required for employees and support staff to access mining operations. As a result of the decision to suspend mining and production activities until the Coronavirus pandemic is under control, a minimal care and maintenance crew will stay on with Dominion to maintain the Ekati mine during this interim period." They have put no timeline on the shutdown.

Dominion owns a controlling interest in the Ekati Diamond Mine, which it operates, and owns 40% of the Diavik Diamond Mine, with Rio Tinto owning the other 60% Dominion also holds a controlling interest in the Lac de Gras Diamond Project. No mention was made about suspending activities at Diavik or Lac de Gras.

Photo: Copyright © Dominion Diamond Mines