S. African Ministry Approves DiamondCorp Mining Resumption at Lace Mine

Mining and Exploration
27/07/2016 08:49

DiamondCorp reports said that the South Africa Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) has given permission for an immediate resumption of underground mining operations at the Lace diamond mine, which have now commenced. The diamond mining, development and exploration company stopped operations on July 18 to have miners’ assistants undertake refresher training after an incident in a development tunnel on the 310 m level. Following an investigation, the DMR ordered all miners’ assistants to undertake refresher training in the handling and charging up of explosives.
While the suspension was not expected to have a material financial impact, DiamondCorp previously said it would not be able to mine the targeted 30,000 tonnes of ore in July, however, the company expects to achieve its targeted rates in August and aims to make up the July shortfall by the end of September, Mining Weekly reported.